Wordley, Allsopp & Bliss (WAB)
Wordley, Allsopp and Bliss (WAB) was founded in 1909 in Newark, New Jersey yet can trace its roots back to before 1885 when Henry Allsopp became a jeweler and registered his mark by 1891 Henry had partnered with George and the subsequently became known as George A H Allsopp Inc. The partnership did well together and they changed to Allsopp brothers in 1901. The business expanded and by 1909 The company added Wordley and Bliss to the name officially becoming Wordley Allsopp and Bliss and registered themselves as manufacturing jewelers. In 1915 operating at 473 Washington Street and in 1922 at the same address. By 1922 George had officially taken over the helm and because of such tremendous growth moved their manufacturing to Camp Street in Newark in 1929. The firm was producing top quality jewelry at the time helping major retailers sell their goods often marked with their common maker's mark for WAB and its successor firms is a "W" and a "B" resting on the sloping sides of an "A". The maker's mark is usually stamped along with the purity of the gold on the cross bar or bridge of the cufflinks that they were famous for. Eventually becoming Allsopp and Son and Allsopp and Long. Under the leadership of Edward E. Allsopp the firms merged and in 1938 Allsopp merged again with Arthur Steller becoming Allsopp- Steller at 81 Warren Street Newark, NJ. Business continued until in 1956 Krementz acquired the firm under their umbrella of Krementz and Co purchasing in total all of Allsopp-Steller.