Victor Gérard's workshop was situated overlooking Paris’s Palais Royal. He was a French jeweler working in Paris from the turn of the century for about 30 years. He registered his makers mark with the assay office on February 18th 1899, it consisted of his initials V.G. either side of a pair of crossed hammers within the regulation lozenge shaped outline. His first workshop was located at 42, Boulevard de Sébastopol and later moved to the Rue de Richelieu opposite the Palais Royal. This was not far from the heart of French jewelry, the Rue de la Paix and Place Vendome. He often created pieces to be sold at other retail shops. One such shop was Louchet, run by brothers Paul and Albert Louchet He focused primarily on Art Nouveau jewelry and much of the time would create pieces using others makers marks.