Storr & Mortimer
Storr & Mortimer was founded in 1822 when silversmith Paul Storr entered a partnership with John Mortimer. Storr was already recognized as one of the finest English silversmiths of the period and had just left Rundell of Bridge & Rundell to set up his own workshop on Harrison Street near Clerkenwell in 1819. After several years on his own he met John Mortimer who had a retail jewelry business called William Gray at 13 New Bond Street. This helped solidify the partnership by gaining a shop premises on the best street for jewelry and silver in London. Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell. The relation continued strongly and in 1826 they took on an additional partner, John Samuel Hunt, who invested £5,000 into the business. In 1838 they moved to 156 New Bond Street. Paul Storr decided to retire in December of the same year and they changed the name to Mortimer and Hunt which operated from 1839 to 1843. In 1843 John Mortimer decided to retire and the name changed one again to Hunt & Roskell. Hunt and Roskell continued and more can be read under Hunt & Roskell biography!