Sloan & Company
Sloan and Company can trace its roots back to 1857 when John Alexander Riley established Riley, Douglas and Williamson. The business did well and hired multiple employees. After thirty years The firm became known as John A. Riley around the same time Frank T Sloan joined Carter, Sloan and Co as an office boy running errands. After a few years Frank left Carter, Sloan and Co and took Allen McDonald with him to join John A. Riley's namesake firm but adding Sloan Co to the name. James Bennett left Krementz to join the firm in 1893 and by 1895 Sloan was the only remaining partner. The following year Augustus Sloan retired from Carter, Sloan and Co and decided to join his son at Sloan and Co. This is when they took up space at 21-23 and also at 15 Maiden Lane in New York, as well as manufacturing in Newark. The business did well and continued to grow even after Augustus' passing. By 1950 their office had solidified a space at 15 Maiden Lane and given up the other locations. The business continued operation until around 1984.