S.J. Rood was founded in London by the Allen family in 1873. They started as manufacturers and moved into the retail jewelry space because of their manufacturing abilities and their location in the Burlington Arcade in Mayfair. Over the years they branched out into diamond dealing as a natural direction to add to their business. Queen Mary became a regular client and granted the firm her Royal Warrant. Between 1918 and 1952 she commissioned a series of twelve (known) rings from them. Then in 1963 they acquired Cecil Drayson Ltd. after Keith Drayson passed away. Rood remained trading from their Burlington Arcade location until in 1998 they were purchased by Hancocks & Co. who took over their premises.