Sheffield & Co.
Sheffield & Co. was established in Alexandria Egypt by Edward Sheffield in 1935. He set up shop at 10 Rue Chérif Pacha which, at the time, was the place to be. Jospeh Youssoufian helped open the business and helped them become the appointed jeweler to the Royal Court of Egypt as he held the position since previously in the 1920s. By 1941 a branch of Sheffield also had opened in Cairo. Edward actually had moved to Cairo to help with that location. Gordon Sheffield, Edward's son decided to pursue a career in jewelry and apprenticed with H.A. Byworth in London. At the time they were making most of the jewelry that Sheffield & Co. was selling so it seemed to fit. The designs being sold captured Egyptian high society and the attention of King Farouk who did business from 1937 until he was exiled. Gordon returned to Egypt after his apprenticeship and his service in World War II. He joined his father in business and they ran the business together until 1952 when a military coup overturned the rule of King Farouk.