The Riker Brothers started by manufacturing Masonic jewelry pieces, watch fobs, and charms and by 1870 they added onyx and cameos to their collection in both platinum and gold in 1801. William Riker was born in 1822 in Montclair, New Jersey. He started his first apprenticeship with Taylor & Baldwin at 15 years old and later with Downing & Hoyt in New York City. In 1846 he, and George Tay started their first company together named Riker and Tay and bought out Bliss & Dwight to acquire their stock. This also allowed them to gain needed additional space for expansion. In 1849, with word of the gold rush, Tay left to become a gold prospector in California. Riker needed assistance in running the business and became partners with Horace Goble changing the name to Riker & Goble. The companies continued growth meant that in 1859 the firm moved and just 5 years later Goble retired. William Riker's sons joined the firm and the company’s name changed to Riker Brothers with the name change they moved to a new location before their father passed in 1898. William Jr. became the head of the company and his brother Joseph became president of Newark Manufacturing Jewelers’ Association leaving the company in the hands of William. The company continued to grow and William Jr decided to move the company to Indianapolis, Indiana in 1926. The company continued to produce jewelry until the 1940’s when it closed shop.