The Schlup & Co. watchmaking factory was founded by the brothers Fritz, Ernst and Werner in 1917 in Lengnau, Switzerland. The original company was setup in part of their family home. The company continied to expand and by the end of World War II the factory had become of of the largest movement producers. By 1950 Schlup began producing watches under the Rado brand name as part of a collection. The collection was celebrated in 1958 at their 40th anniversary followed by their water resistant models in 1958 and international expansion during that time. By 1962 Rado continued innovating and focused its attention on creating scratchproof watches which they realeased the same year. By the mid 1970's they were looking to create more minimalistic watches which they released in 1972 and again in 1976. The scratch proof innovations by this time continued to be successful and create demand. The continued the focus and produced ceramic models in the mid 1990s and again in the late 1990s. This focus continued into the future of Rado as well extended will beyond 2000.