In 1874, Georges Edouard Piaget set up his first workshop on his families farm in La Côte-aux-Fées, Switzerland. The company began with a focus on creating pocket watches and high-precision clock movements. Business was steady and Timothee joined and took over the company in 1911. With the changing of the guards Timothee changed the focus of the firm to be wristwatches. In 1943, by the time Timothees sons Gérald and Valentin Piaget, joined the business the Piaget trademark was registered. As a result the business grew and expanded to a factor in 1945. A refocus meant that the company was not looking to create a thinner, and thinner movement which they debuted in 1957. Advancements continued and by 1960 they debuted the Calibre12P, the thinnest automatic movement in the world. Piaget also focused on using the watches in different places such as rings, brooches and even cufflinks. They also began to branch out into the world of jewelry. This meant a new factory, this time in Geneva and a boutique just before their thinnest movement debuted in 1959. The move into jewelry helped them change their watches by using precious stone dials in 1964. The brand continued to grow and in 1988 the company sold to Vendome Group which was purchased by Richemont some years later.