Paltscho was founded in Vienna Austria in 1899 by Ernst Paltscho. He trained as a jewelers apprentice under his father Karl. In 1914 he partnered with Emil Biedermann and moved to new premises in the center of Vienna, trading as Biedermann & Paltscho. Erwin, Ernst’s son, joined his father in the business in 1918. This is when they separated from Biedermann. In 1922 Paltscho moved to Am Graben 14. His father Ernst’s passed away in 1929 and Erwin carried on the business alone. During the 1940’s and 50’s they produced the carved gemstone floral jewelry a staple of their pieces with hidden clasps.