Oris was founded by Paul Cattin and Georges Christian in Hölstein, Switzerland. The company began when they purchased the Lohner & Co watch factory and by June 1, 1904 the open Oris. By 1906 business had grown tremendously and Oris opened an assembly plant as well as a second factory in Holderbank. The growth continued and in 1911, Oris became the largest employer in Hölstein. They even began building apartment buildings for its staff. The growth still continued into the late 1920's with factories in Hölstein, Holderbank, Como, Courgenay, Herbetswil, and Ziefen. This expansion helped them fit bracelet buckles to its already produced pocket watches hence making them wrist watches. The growth continued after World War II and Oris developed an automatic watch with power reserve. By the late 1960s, Oris became one of the 10 largest watch companies in the world.