In 1918 George Schaeren founded Mido watch in Biel, Switzerland. By the 1920s Mido began to introduce ladies watches to the market that featured enameled cases of the art deco style with similar, less colorful men's Art Deco era timepieces. The watches sold well and George looked to create other watches focusing on automobiles and producing timepieces in the shape of the radiator. Automobile ethusiasts took note and the watches sold well bringing the brand to light. Then in 1934 Mido produced and used the first self winding automatic movement that was shock-resistant, anti-magnetic, and water-resistant. Watch brands and enthusiasts took notice and the same year Mido released watches with unbreakable mainsprings. The brand continued to grow and innovate changing the chronograph mechanism in 1945 and producing the thinnest ladies watch in 1967. Further advancements came in 1970 and 1990 as well. Mido eventually sold to the Swatch group.