Maurice Lacroix was founded by Desco von Schulthess of Zurich in 1975. Desco however was founded in 1889 and began in the silk trade. In 1946 however, Desco began building watche brands such as Audemars Piguet, Heuer, Eterna, and Jaeger-LeCoultre. By 1961 Desco acquired Tiara in Saignelégier, in the Swiss alps and began to produce private label watches for third parties. Then in 1975, Desco started marketing these watches under the brand name Maurice Lacroix. In just five years sales of the watches were so strong that they stopped making watches and movements for third parties and continued to build the brand. The brand continued to grow and by 2010, Maurice Lacroix employed around 220 employees worldwide.