Mappin & Webb
Mappin & Webb was formally established in 1889. In 1775 Jonathan Mappin opened a silver smith workshop in Sheffield Engl and his makers mark was recorded with the assay office shortly after in 1780. The business passed down from father to son and then to grandson. This is when it was incorporated as Mappin Brothers Ltd by Jonathon’s four great grandsons William, Edward, Joseph, and John. In 1859 William left the business and the following year John left to start his own Mappin & Company. He opened a store on London’s Oxford Street. Two years later his brother-in-law George Webb joined the business. Then in 1864 they changed the name to Mappin, Webb & Co. In 1889 we see the usage of Mappin & Webb Ltd. Shortly thereafter George Webb passed. Meanwhile Mappin Brothers Ltd still consisted of the middle two brothers Joseph and Edward. They had expanded and were succeeded by Edward’s son Charles who sold it in 1884. The company went in to decline and finally failed after the sale. This is when John Mappin acquired it and incorporated it into Mappin & Webb Ltd. In 1897 they received Royal Warrant from the Queen. This helped them expand greatly and by 1910 they had shops in a total of twelve locations including Biarritz, Rome, Buenos Aires, and Cairo. In 2012 they were appointed the Crown Jewelers by Her Majesty the Queen. The company was acquired by the Asprey Garrard Group however was then resold to Arum Holdings Ltd.