Léon Gariod & Lucien Gautrait Jewelry
Leon Gariod and Lucien ( possibly Leopold as not much is known about him) Gautrait can trace their roots back to 1859 when the firm was founded Gaucher and Tonnelier. The business sustained and in 1875 Gaucher sought a partner in Gariod who joined the same year. The business continued to grow and in 1884 Leon became the head of the company. At the time they focused on their enamel work and fine chasing work while crafting their signature sunburst diamond pendants as well as gold chains and bracelet set with stones. By the 1890's the began producing Art Nouveau jewelry which was just beginning to be seen in the market. In 1900 Gautrait joined which would prove to be a symbiotic relationship. He brought an eye for design as well as improved their enameling greatly. Around this time it is also believed they began doing work for Verver as manufacturers. Around this time most of the pieces created at Leon Gariod’s firm began to bear not only his signature ‘L. Gautrait’, but also the company stamp of Leon Gariod showing the monogram ‘LG’ separated by a horn-like symbol in a vertical lozenge which was registered 1884.