Erhard Junghans founded his name sake Junghans und Tobler with his brother-in-law Jakob Zeller-Tobler in Schramberg, Germany on April 15th 1861. The company grew and began producing wristwatches by 1927. The watches sold well and in the 1950's Jughans picked up designer Max Bill who created wall clocks as well as wrist watches the made the Junghans name. The watches sold well and by 1972 Junghans became a larger brand becoming the official timekeeper of the Olympics in Munich. Their advancement in technology persisted and in the 1980s they produced not only mechanic watches but also radio controlled table clocks followed by radio controlled wrist watches in 1990. By 1995 Junghans had produced a solar powered watch and a watch that automatically set the local time.