John Brogden was a Victorian manufacturing jeweler during the second half of the 19th Century. Coming from a long line of jewelers that had been in the trade since the early 18th century John took his apprenticeship in 1834 with James Garland of Garland & Watherston in Bridgewater Square, London. John Brogden and James Watherston eventually came together after Garland was out and set up at 16 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden trading as Watherston and Brogden. Watherston retired in 1864, and Brogden carried on the business alone under his own name and continued to build on his successful reputation. He employed several designers but one of particular note was Charlotte Newman who joined the firm in the mid 1860’s and her signature appears on many of the designs manufactured by Brogden. Then in 1880 Brogden moved the company and manufacturing capability to new premises at 6, Grand Hotel Buildings in Charing-Cross where the goldsmiths could be seen busily working at their benches in the basement. The business closed in 1884 as John Brogden passed away. Mrs Newman went on to found a business in her own name very much in the tradition and style she had perfected over many years working alongside Brogden.