Carlo Illario e F.lli was founded in 1920 by three brothers – Carlo, Vincenzo and Luigi Illario. They established their manufacturing jewelry business in Valenza, in northern Italy, south-west of Milan. Their work caught the attention of Italian retail jewelers like Fasano and Faraone and eventually Bulgari. Illario created many pieces for Bulgari throughout the 1950s, 60s and 70s including Serpenti watch bracelets. Illario also designed, made and sold jewelry under his own name.