Hennell was founded by silversmith David Hennell (1712 – 1785) in 1736. Hennell apprenticed with Edward Wood in 1728 and set up his own business in 1735 on Gutter Lane near St. Pauls in the City of London. The business grew and David’s son Robert joined his father in 1763 at which time the business moved to Foster Lane where they registered a joint mark. European Royalty took notice of their craftsmanship and they gained notable clients like Queen Victoria, King George V, and his wife Queen Mary. Prior to the 19th century the firm focused on silverware and yet the inclusion of the third generation (headed by Robert Jr) meant the company would branch out into jewelry manufacturing. This is when they hired chief designer Charles Bruno in the 1920s and their Art Deco designs took off. The business did well and continued to transfer to newer generations until the 1970s when it was sold.