Johann A. Hanhart opened a watch shop in Diessenhofen, Switzerland on July 1st 1882. The company grew slowly and in 1902 Johann relocated his business to Schwenningen, Germany. In 1924 Johann created his first stopwatch and then began to diversify the product range including both pocket watches and wrist watches. In 1932 Wilhelm Julius Hanhart took control of the company at the death of his father and began to focus the business on the manufacturing of movements. This lead the a single button chronograph in production in 1938 and pilots chronographs the following year. The company continued to grow and focused solely on time measuring instruments. Hanhart produces its instrument watches and stopwatches in its workshops in Gütenbach, Germany. and are registed in Diessenhofen, Switzerland.