Gustav Manz was born on May 18, 1865, in Stuttgart, Germany. He left Germany to attend and be enveloped with the Paris jewelry scene. He studied in parid before heading to England to see trends other places and also went to South Africa. After getting typhoid in South Africa he headed to Paris before coming the the United States in 1892. In the United States he sought employment as a jeweler and became a partner before working with Chas. Bachem & Co. By then he was married to Martha Bachem and lived in New York city on the upper west side. Martha was the daughter of Carl Bachem who was also involved in the jewelry trade as a findings dealer. According to family lore, the marriage was “a business arrangement.” He started doing his own work on the side and decides to partner with McTeigue and Bachem. At the time he also continued to do side work and ended up doing work for William Marcus Jr (of Marcus and Co) before branching out on his own in 1910 at 37 E 28th Street New York, New York. With his skills as a master jeweler he began crafting for many of the major houses including: Tiffany & Co, Marcus & Co, Cartier, Dreicer, Shreve Crump and Low, Black Starr and Frost, Caldwell, Yard, and Bailey Banks and Biddle. By 1918 the company moved to Fifth Avenue then to 47th street and his daughter Doris joins her dad in assisting with the company. By the 1930's Manz decided to move again to 48th street and produces jewels for the worlds fair. By 1946 Manz passed away.