In 1861 Gertrude Gump and her husband established their business in San Francisco. The Gump brothers, Solomon and Gustave, joined the the business by buying them out to expand the company. In the beginning those who got rich from the gold rush of California became clientele quickly and the shop began to cater to them. The brothers expanded their collection of old world art and new world design catering to wealthier at the time. Around the turn of the century Solomon Gump allowed his son Abraham Livingston to take control of the business. However in 1906 the San Francisco earthquake struck and Abraham had to rebuild and restock all inventory. He looked to the Far East sending buyers to Japan and China to find exotic rugs, porcelain, silks, bronzes, and jade. This was the fuel that reignited the business. By the 1920s San Francisco had recovered and the market was enjoying the stock market increases. In the 1950's Richard Gump assumed leadership of the company and continued to run it successfully expanded on the product list and increasing the jewelry supply.