Glashutte Original formed in 1994 by the privatization of VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (GUB) which began as an East German conglomerate the originally formed in 1951 from the watch companies based in Glashütte Germany. Its original roots extend to 1845 in Saxony when watchmakers began to manufacture watch parts and watches in the small town. At the time the kingdom of Saxony began to fund watchmaking in Glashutte which attracted watchmakers who wanted to craft with precision and trained local townspeople to be come independent watchmakers. The German School of Watchmaking Glashütte was founded in 1878. Just after the world wars the changes to the economic system led to the merger of existing Glashütte watchmaking companies in July 1951. After German reunification, the Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH was entered into the commercial register on 16th October 1990. The company became the official legal successor to the majority of the watchmaking enterprises that had existed in Glashütte since the end of the Second World War. The company began to grow and see success and by 2000 Glashütte Original became part of the Swatch Group.