Frederique Constant was established in 1988 by Aletta Bax and Peter Stas who named the company after their grandparents. They launched their first collection in 1992 using swiss movements in their cases all assembled in Geneva, Switzerland. The company grew and by 2002 they acquired Alpina watches (a company founded in 1883). The company continued to grow rapidly expanding 25% every year becoming one of the largest Swiss watch manufacturers. In 2016 Frederique Constant Group purchased its main distributors in Switzerland. Shortly thereafter Citizen Holdings announced its intention to acquire Frederique Constant Holding SA, which also owned Union Horlogère Holding, Alpina Watches International SA, and Ateliers deMonaco.