Dr. Joseph Girard and Urs Schild founded the ébauche factory in November 1856. The company soon added Max Schild, Urs's son after his death six years later. Max took over the company and soon made a business trip to the United States where he learned about American machinery. He brought back the machinery to Switzerland however his craftsman did not want to transition to the new manufacturing processes. His brother Theodore took over the company and began building the company. Schild Fréres, as the company was then known, started to produce ladies’ wristwatches adapted from small pocket watches as the wrist watch trend had emerged and was quickly gaining in popularity. By 1905 the company name changed to Eterna and continued to focus heavy on the wrist watch patenting their first alarm wristwatch in 1908 and perfecting the manufacture before releasing it in 1914. The watch sold well and by 1932 Eterna had established ETA SA (a small department at first, which developed into a subsidiary c0mpany). ETA SA began making movements for Eterna at first and quickly developed to craft movements for other companies. Theodore retired in 1932 and passed the company to his nephew Rudolf Schild. The company continued to grow and advance and continued to focus on manufacturing movements. By the 1950's the company had grown dramatically and continued on its growth pattern. After 1982 Eterna was sold a few different times and ended up under the ownership of FAP Beteiligungs GmbH by 1995. In 1999 produced Porsche Design labeled timepieces and continued to do so for several years before being purchased by International Volant Ltd, a subsidiary of China Haidian in 2012 which became Citychamp Watch & Jewellery Group Limited.