Emile Galle was born in France in 1846 and studied art, botany, and chemistry. His father Charles, owned a glass and ceramics factory in Nancy, France where he produced glass, jewelry and porcelain. Galle traveled and decided to settle in Nancy and set up his own studio in 1873. Emile's business grew and developed and began to focus more on glass than the other mediums. In 1894 Galle built a new glassworks in Nancy, and ended his dependence on the Burgun, Schverer glassworks for producing some of his glass. He employed a team of craftsmen-designers and approved and modified their work himself. Galle died in 1904, whilst directing the work on new designs from his bed. After his death his widow continued to run the glassworks. She produced glass until the outbreak of war in 1914 and identified her glass with a star after the Galle. Galle's son in law, Paul Perdrizet, re-opened the Galle glassworks after the war. The reopening meant new designs and they worked primarily in two and three layer designs with acid etching. The company closed finally in 1936 after not being able to change with the styles of the times fast enough.