The Eberhard & Co manufacture was founded on 1887 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland by George-Emile Eberhard. Eberhard was the son of a prominent Bernese family which was involved the Swiss watchmaking industry at its inception. He learned the trade from his father and he started his namesake at just 22 years old. By 1907 the company had become one of the largest Swiss manufacturers and its headquarters relocated to the entire block at the very center of rue Leopold Robert, La Chaux-de-Fonds's main avenue. By 1919, Eberhard's sons, Georges and Maurice took over the company and lead the company through both world wars though they were forced to shut down for a bit. Manufacture resumed in 1947 and Eberhard & Co made its first woman's watch followed by a small jewelry collection. The company continued and by the mid 1980's they decided to focus on the luxury market releasing grand watches in 1996 and there after.