Charlton & Co
In 1909 Charlton & Co was founded in New York. Their reputation was secured by a remarkable French jewelry designer and enhanced by the patronage of Edward, Prince of Wales who bolstered their popularity greatly. Charlton & Co. was founded in 1909 by John W. Charlton. He worked for various firms, and decided to open his own store, J.W. Charlton, on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, changing the name to Charlton & Co. when business partner Robert Chapin joined him in the company. After re-locating further along Fifth Avenue to number 634, they set to offer fine quality jewelry. After ten years in business, Mr. Charlton retired and sold his shares of the business to Grant A. Peacock (who had joined the firm in 1916 after graduating from Princeton) and James Todd. Charlton had a French jewelry designer Maurice Duvalet working for them who often made trips to Paris. When he would come back to New York, he would create new jewelry pieces all Art Deco in style. The American consumers love the designs and business was great. They also retailed pieces that they imported from some of the best French jewelers such as Verger Freres who supplied Charlton a range of time pieces. Edward, Prince of Wales brought much welcomed attention when he purchased a two-tone gold cigarette case from them in 1924. In the late 1920’s Charlton’s expanded and opened branches in both Palm Beach, Florida as well as Paris’ fashionable Rue de La Paix. The depression of the following decade hit them hard and the branches were closed along with the firm’s workshop. With this Duvalet left and went on to create masterpieces for Van Cleef & Arpels. Todd passed away in 1943, and Chapin retired. Peacock acquired ownership of the company and its archives and renamed it Grant A. Peacock.