Charles Rémy Clerc
Charles Rémy Clerc founded his first shop in 1874 at 64 Rue de la Chaussée d'Antin in Paris at the corner of Rue de la Victoire. By 1877 he married Mademoiselle Julie Aubertin eventually having three children Charles, Paul and Jean. Business does and and by 1894 Clerc purchases a store on Boulevard des Capucines at No. 11 and keeps the name of the original founder Mr Bourguignon. In 1898 the storefront located next door to his new store goes vacant and Clerc purchases the location to set up his three children in business. The first World War alters these plans in 1914 when is son is killed (John). The agony of the death lead Clerc to poor health which declined until November 6th 1915 when he passed away. Paul, Charles, and his Wife Julie took the helm. Julie and Charles pushed the businesses further and established the names as: Clerc at the Chaussée d'Antin; Clerc Place de l'Opéra; Bourguignon Bd des Capucines. Over the years Paul decides to pursue business in a different direction and Julie eventually passes away in April of 1924. After the death Charles paid out Paul, albeit a small sum compared to the value of the businesses, and kept running the businesses. The CLerc businesses were then taken to court by Paul who argued for a new valuation during the time of World War II. The wartime meant that Charles could divest the company to others in order to make it harder for the company value to be scrutinized by his brother. Charles did not realize that the company would be declared "Jewish" by German soldier for the partner named Joseph Liebman (even though he left france in 1940).