Elijah Peacock opened the first retail jewelry and watch shop in Chicago in 1837. The store specialized in selling, as well as repairing watches. They also carried jewelry as an addon. Charles, Elijah's son learned the business from his father and took over when his father retired in 1871 after the great Chicago fire in white Elijah's vault was the only thing that remained. Charles changed the name from house of peacock to C.D. Peacock which stayed with the company. The company grew and moved locations several times expanding and relocating to more prestigious addresses until settling at 101 South State Street. In 1969 the company was sold to Dayton Hudson Corp and just 10 years later offered mail order and in 1982 the company merges with Birks and Sons Ltd.