Carter, Gough and Co
Cartier, Gough and Co can trace its beginnings back to 1841 when Pennington, Carter & Doremus started in the jewelry business by Aaron Carter and two partners. Aaron was previously employed by Taylor & Baldwin and D. Colton Jr who were some of the first jewelry manufactures in Newark, NJ. Names and partners changed over time, by 1915 it was Carter, Gough and Co. At which time it was one of the largest jewelry companies in the world. They were the first to use a steam engine in the 1850's! Throughout the 1950's Aaron partnered with many different jewelers and grew the company each time. As the company grew the use of the steam engine became more apparent and their success continued as they manufactured across the board from bracelets to brooches, from charms to chains, across the board they working in gold platinum and diamond jewelry. Aaron Carter passed in 1902, but the firm was continued by his son, William Tuttle Carter transferring the name from Carter, Howe & Co to Carter Gough and Co.