In 1764 King Louis XV of France gave permission to found a glassworks in the town of Baccarat in the Lorraine region in eastern France. Prince Bishop Cardinal Louis-Joseph de Laval-Montmorency (1710-1802) founded the company and the first production consisted of window panes, mirrors, and stemware until 1816. In 1816 Baccarat put their first crystal oven into operation and by that time over 3000 workers were employed at the site as the company had grown vastly. A few years later in 1823 Baccarat received its first royal commission. With their crystal ovens operating at high capacity Baccarat built a worldwide reputation for making fine stemware, chandeliers, barware, and perfume bottles. In fact by 1907 production was over 4000 perfume bottles per day. Baccarat continued to grow and expand and created an American subsidiary in 1948 in New York City. The brand continued to grow and sell fine crystal. Baccarat began making jewelry and in 1997 the same year they decided to expand into perfume as well. In 2003, Baccarat relocated to 11, place des Etats-Unis in Paris.