We have appraised and purchased over $664,000,000 of items.
Velvet Box Society offers comprehensive appraisal services by Gemologists who are Graduates of the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). Our appraisers are highly trained specialists in the areas of antique and estate jewelry, buying and evaluations, as well as insurance replacements. We follow a strict code of ethics and are committed to promoting responsible business practices in a clear and accountable manner throughout the jewelry industry. Our services include:
- Pre- and Post- purchase evaluations
- Insurance appraisals
- Tax, estate and probate appraisals
- Liquidation and inventory appraisals
- Grading reports for diamonds and gemstones
- Gemstone identification
- Expert witness testimony
- Forensic and damage reports
- Private consultations
- Diamond investment sales and purchases
An appraisal can be done on any item of jewelry, timepiece, or coin regardless of the composition, style, or condition. The purpose of an appraisal is to assign a precise dollar value for an item, often for insurance purposes. An appraisal might also be necessary to settle an estate or other valuation procedures or also be used to verify an item's true market value before making a purchase. Since the market values change, we recommend having jewelry appraisals updated approximately every two years.
- Weights, measures, and details of each piece
- Gemstones are identified, graded, measured, and described in detail.
- Certificates will be copied, provided or mentioned if possible.
- Metal content will be determined including purity, type, color, weight, finish, style etc.
- Photo-micrographs (photos through the microscope) are available if needed
- Grading systems and any special terminology as well as appraisal types will be named
A laboratory or grading report describes a gemstone or diamond. Reports may differ for diamonds and colored gems, but documentation usually includes specifics about carat weight and dimensions, color and clarity grades, and items relating to the gemstone's cut and shape. We offer the capability of providing you with a report from the worlds foremost authority in gemology: The Gemological Institute Of America.
BRIAN TY BERGER G.G. GIA
Brian Ty Berger G.G. GIA is a professional, independent appraiser of large diamonds, fine jewelry, gemstones, and antique jewelry. He has earned a Graduate Gemologist degree from the Gemological Institute of America. He lectures on gemstones, diamonds, investment diamonds, and jewelry.
He specializes in diamond and jewelry appraisals and works with attorneys on estates, trusts, insurance matters, as well as appraisal theories and concepts. He is also an outside expert and consults with numerous galleries and dealers on gemstone identification and evaluation.