Bucherer began in 1888 when Carl-Friedrich Bucherer opened the first specialist watch and jewelry store in Lucerne Switzerland with his wife Luise. Ernst and Carl Eduard Bucherer, Carl and Luise's sons, joined the business in the 1920s and led the business to even greater success. Ernst Bucherer entered into partnership with Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of Rolex, in 1924. That relationship helped cement Bucherer into jewelry and watch history. The Bucherer success story continued the family opened branches in other Swiss towns and tourist destinations. In 1977, management was taken over by the third generation of the founding family namely Jörg G. Bucherer. The business expanded into Austria in the 1980s followed by Germany 10 years later. Bucherer acquired the Kurz Group in 1989 in Switzerland and in 2001 Bucherer acquired Swiss Lion AG. In 2013, Bucherer celebrated its 125th anniversary and opened the world’s largest watch and jewelry store in Paris. In January 2018 Bucherer also acquired Tourneau which has 28 stores in the United States.